#Writing Update

Sherlock WritingWord count: 312 words

After suffering from cold and dealing with rl stuff, I am actually proud of that total. It’s not perfect nor ideal but it’s better than none. Therefore, this update is going to be a short one as expected.

In terms of story, my FMC and her fellow first formers have just met their new house leader. Having received the cold shoulder from her fellows, my FMC is talking to said house leader, who is questioning her over her reluctance to try new food.

There is potential character growth seeds here but whether they grow or not, I don’t know. The conversation may well get ignored. Speaking of which, I have also been thinking about an idea that I am wondering if I could pull off with my FMC’s mother. It has potential for wider effects on characters and character relationships so I am treating it as a possibility.

In other news, I have joined NaNoWriMo once more but have resigned myself to the fact that 50,000 words is never going to happen. I learnt my lesson from last year that a November NaNo is never gonna be completed fully with everything else going on. I will be writing and logging word counts (staying with this story) instead and cheering everyone else on from the sidelines.

Plan for now though is to write, catch up and just get rid of this cold. A quick question though if you would be so kind to answer: years or forms? I keep flip-flopping and was wondering if anyone has any ideas. The story is set in an AU Britain where magic is known and out there but regular humans have a habit of turning a blind eye to it. Be grateful for any responses.

Advertisements

Belated #Writing Update

Sherlock WritingCurrent Word Count: 7,286 words

Firstly, sorry for the disappearing act over the last fortnight. A case of writers block combined with life stuff has meant that I haven’t blogged here and writing has slowed to a snail’s pace. Granted, I have increased by word count by about 3,000 words but those words are still mostly world building.

My FMC has discovered that her family and that of her grandfather’s business partner are more linked than she had realised but that raised more questions for her. I ended up taking a detour whilst figuring out part of the answer for some of those questions which led to me reconsidering a storyline and the pairings for the story, wrote an extra little thing, realised I was going down the wrong road, and deciding to go back to the original ideas.

After all that, I returned to being stuck and having no idea where to go next. Writing ended up taking a back seat whilst I dealt with IRL stuff. Yesterday though, something clicked and I got 753 words written. Those words led to the revelation of the cat familiars name, Constantine, and that he has a dark personality but can also act like a teenage girl. I commented on Twitter that the Skull-in-a-jar from Lockwood & Co. is proving rather influential of the cat. Whether that continues, I will just have to see. I am re-reading Hollow Boy at the moment so it is possible.

The fact I have written anything is partly because I have accepted that I will have to jump over some time to be able to write. This hopefully will mean I will be able to get on with the bulk of the story much quicker though I know have another problem upcoming that will stop me once more. The main thing is that I am writing again.

Hopefully everyone else’s writing has been more fruitful than my own. Here’s to a better end of the month, even if it is just one or two words.